Vaginal discharge has a wide range of normal. Your discharge may be white or transparent, thick or thin, odorless or slightly malodorous and may differ in consistency and volume pending:
- Timing of your menstrual cycle
- Oral contraceptive pills use
- Intrauterine contraceptives (IUDs)
- Sexual activity
- Heat and perspiration
Symptoms of vaginitis, or infection or inflammation of the vagina, include:
- Change in the volume, color, or odor of vaginal discharge
- Burning or irritation
- Redness and swelling
- Vaginal spotting
- Painful urination
- Painful intercourse
Common vaginal infections:
- Bacterial infections such as bacterial vaginitis, chlamydia trachomatis, neisseria gonorrhoeae and trichomoniasis
- Yeast infections, such as vulvovaginal candidiasis. We are currently recruiting for a yeast study. Click here for information.
- Menopausal vaginitis or atrophic vaginitis
There are considerable symptoms that overlap between different causes of vaginitis. Given this, most women require a detailed history, physical exam and diagnostic testing.
Learn more about vaginitis, its causes, symptoms and treatments here.
Urinary Tract Infections
Urinary tract infections are caused by an overgrowth of bacteria in any part of the kidneys, bladder or urethra. Symptoms include urinary frequency/urgency, pain, blood in urine and occasionally urinary incontinence.
The diagnosis for urinary tract infections involves completing a urine analysis and culture. For treatment, your provider may prescribe antibiotics and recommend various strategies for prevention, including:
- Urinate before and after intercourse
- Wipe from front to back
- Avoid feminine hygiene products
- Avoid bladder irritants including caffeine, alcohol and carbonation
How can Consultants in Women’s Healthcare help?
For 25 years, Consultants in Women’s Healthcare has made it our goal to know patients on an individual and personal level in order to provide the highest-quality care. Our clients indicate that it’s our personal care and attention we provide that makes us stand out among the other providers in the St. Louis region. Visit with one of our providers.